F, #289, b. 27 January 1810, d. 11 November 1881
|Charles Grant b. about 1810, d. before 1851|
|Family Background||Grant - Klinger Ancestry and Allied Families|
|Charts||Descendants of Charles C. Grant|
KEY EVENTS:Esther McWilliams was born on Saturday, 27 January 1810 in King Township, York County, Ontario, Canada.2 Esther and Charles Grant, son of Charles Grant, were probably married about 1830.3 Esther McWilliams died on 11 November 1881 probably in in Goshen, Elkhart County, Indiana, at age 71.4,2,5 Esther was buried on 13 November 1881 at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Goshen, Elkhart County, Indiana.2,5
NARRATIVE:Esther McWilliams was also known as Estor McWitten.6 According to the 1880 U.S. Census, her father was born in Scotland, and her mother in New York.7
No record of her marriage to Charles Grant has been found, but we surmise that they were married sometime around 1830. Following Charles' apparent early death, sometime between 1847 and 1851, she was left alone to raise their five children, which must have been quite a challenge for a woman who was far from wealthy. No record has been found indicating that she ever remarried.2,5
On 25 June 1870 Esther was enumerated as the head of the household in Ross Township, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, in the federal census of 1 June 1870. John Cotton also lived there at the time of the enumeration.8
On 1 June 1880 Esther was enumerated as the head of the household in Goshen, Elkhart County, Indiana, in the federal census of 1 June 1880.7
Esther made out her will on 1 January 1881 in Goshen. Peter Grant and Mary Ann Grant was not mentioned in the will. The will was witnessed by Aaron S. Zook and Noah Hoyt. Her will named her son, James Grant, executor of her estate. To him, she left a debt owing to her by one John Furgeson of Ontario, Canada. The debt was in the amount of $600 plus annual interest and was secured by mortgage and left in care of one Walter Scott of Ontario, Canada. This debt, she stated, should become payable upon her death. From her description of this debt, it appears that she had been the owner of some piece of land in Ontario which she had sold to John Furgeson. The remainder of her personal estate she left to her children, John Grant and Charlotte Annett, to be divided between them equally. She does not specifically refer to them as her children, however the fact that they are named in her will strongly suggests just that. There is no mention at all of her son, Peter Grant, or her daughter, Mary Ann (Grant) Elliott.9
Her daughter, Charlotte, died on 3 November 1881 in Goshen.10
|Last Edited||23 Aug 2016|
- [S806] John Grant entry, Kalamazoo County Death Registrations, Liber 1915, no. 296, Kalamazoo County Clerk's Office, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Hereinafter cited as Kalamazoo County Deaths.
- [S424] Oak Ridge Cemetery (Goshen, Elkhart County, Indiana), Ester Grant marker; personally read, 1996.
- [S1055] Supposition made by Author (Seattle, Washington) based on the preponderance of evidence. No marriage record has been found.
- [S1056] Supposition made by Author (Seattle, Washington) based on the preponderance of evidence. No death record has been found.
- [S391] Esther Grant death notice, Goshen Times, Goshen, Indiana, 17 November 1881, page 3. Hereinafter cited as Goshen Times.
- [S6] Muryl Harvy Grant, "Charles Grant Descendancy Chart", circa 1996 (Route 2, Box 82A, Honoraville, AL 36042). Unknown comments. Hereinafter cited as "Charles Grant's Descendants."
- [S429] Esther Grant household, 1880 U.S. census, Elkhart County, Indiana, population schedule, city of Goshen, SD 6, ED 40, page 18, dwelling 189, family 189, National Archives and Records Administration micropublication T9, roll 275.
- [S460] Esther Grant household, 1870 U.S. census, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, population schedule, Ross Township, page 5, dwelling 34, family 34, National Archives and Records Administration micropublication M593, roll 680.
- [S158] Esther Grant, Elkhart County probate (will) file unknown file number, Elkhart County Circuit Court, Goshen, Elkhart County, Indiana. Hereinafter cited as Elkhart County will file.
- [S1769] County and Neighborhood, Goshen Times, Goshen, Indiana, 10 November 1881, page 3. Located online at http://newspaperarchive.com. Viewed online 1 August 2014.
- [S797] Kalamazoo County Marriage Liber 4: 367, no. 5711, Kalamazoo County Clerk's Office, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Hereinafter cited as Kalamazoo County Marriage Liber 4.
- [S644] James Grant entry, Elkhart County Death Registrations, record 197 (filed 10 January 1904), Elkhart County Health Department, Elkhart, Elkhart County, Indiana. Hereinafter cited as Elkhart County Deaths.
- [S191] Elaine Bourke, "Elliott," e-mail message from e-mail address (Etobicoke, Ontario) to Compiler, 2 August 1997. Hereinafter cited as "Elliott."