F, #2277, b. 16 December 1867, d. 11 December 1952
|Father||James Elliott1 b. a 1827, d. 16 May 1899|
|Mother||Mary Ann Grant1 b. 1838, d. 1915|
|John W. Tedrow b. 1868, d. 2 April 1951|
|Family Background||Grant - Klinger Ancestry and Allied Families|
|Charts||Descendants of Charles C. Grant|
KEY EVENTS:Kathleen was probably born on 16 December 1867 in King Township, York County, Ontario.1,2,3 Kathleen and Eugene Hyde, son of (?) Hyde and Martha J. Fountain, were married before 1895.4,5,6 Kathleen and John Modrack were married about 1900.7 Kathleen and John W. Tedrow were married on Tuesday, 19 November 1929.4 Kathleen died at age 84 on Thursday, 11 December 1952.8 Kathleen was buried at Cedar Creek Cemetery in Hope Township, Barry County, Michigan.8
NARRATIVE:At least one document exists which refers to her as Kathleen Elliott.2,3 Kathleen was baptized into the Wesleyan Methodist Church on 20 March 1873 in McKellar Township, Frontenac County, Ontario. Sarah Jane Elliott, Forbes Elliott, James Elliott, John Elliott, Elizabeth Elliott, Margaret Hannah Elliott and Martha Elliott were also baptized the same day. The baptism was performed by Rev. S. Tucker.3 While some sources suggest that she was born sometime between 1874 and 1878, other records closer to the date of her birth suggest that those sources are incorrect.7,4,6,8 In 1881 Kathleen appeared on the 1881 national census of Canada in the household of her father, James Elliott, in Hagerman & McKellar, Muskoka District, Ontario.2 Kathleen immigrated in 1892.7 On 21 August 1909, Kathleen purchased for one dollar and other valuable consideration 80 acres of land in Hope Township, Barry County, Michigan, from Peter Grant.9
Her husband, John Modrack, died about 1913.4
On 19 January 1920 Kathleen was enumerated as the head of the household in Hope Township, in the federal census of 1 January 1920. Eugene Hyde and Noble F. Hyde also lived there at the time of the enumeration. Kathleen was employed as a nurse at the time of the census enumeration. According to the census, she also owned her home on a mortgage.10 On 18 April 1930 Kathleen appeared on the 1930 federal census in the household of her husband, John W. Tedrow, in Hope Township. While the census lists her age as 49, this is almost certainly wildly incorrect, as most evidence suggests that she would have been 62 at the time. One should note that the property that she and her husband owned, which she had acquired from her uncle, Peter Grant, was valued in 1930 at $1500.11
Her husband, John W. Tedrow, died on 2 April 1951.8
|Last Edited||21 Aug 2016|
- [S469] Letter from Elaine Bourke (Etobicoke, Ontario) to Compiler, 4 January 1999; copy in possession of recipient (Seattle, Washington).
- [S608] James Elliott household, 1881 Canada census, Muskoka County, Ontario, population schedule, Hagerman & McKellar townships, district 131, sub-district S, page 15, household 68, online http://www.familysearch.org.
- [S935] Volume 3, Baptismal registers, Methodist Church, Ontario: 659, (1850s-1870s), microfilm 1759294, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. Hereinafter cited as Methodist Baptisms, Ontario.
- [S471] Lorraine Scott, "Genealogy, second try," e-mail message from e-mail address (Victoria, British Columbia) to Compiler, 24 February 2000. Hereinafter cited as "Genealogy, second try."
- [S472] Lorraine Scott, "More info about Kathleen (nee Elliott) Hyde - Modrack - Tedrow," e-mail message from e-mail address (Victoria, British Columbia) to Compiler, 15 December 1999. Hereinafter cited as "More info about Kathleen Elliott."
- [S491] J. C. Modrack household, 1920 U.S. census, Barry County, Michigan, population schedule, Hope Township, SD 4, ED 54, sheet 4B, dwelling 114, family 114, National Archives and Records Administration micropublication T625, roll 756.
- [S1142] John Modrack household, 1910 U.S. census, Marion County, Ohio, population schedule, village of Caledonia, Claridon Township, SD 12, ED 74, sheet 5A, dwelling 129, family 132, National Archives and Records Administration micropublication T624, roll 1213.
- [S934] Hastings Barry County Historical/Genealogical Society, Sara Colburn and Paula Walters, Cedar Creek Cemetery, Hope Township, Barry County, Michigan (http://www.interment.net/data/us/mi/barry/cedarcreek/cedar_creek.htm: Internment.net Cemetery Transcription Library, 1997). Hereinafter cited as Cedar Creek Cemetery.
- [S1387] Barry County Deed Registrations, Liber 101: 505, certificate 3775, Barry County Register of Deeds, Hastings, Michigan. Hereinafter cited as Barry Co. Deeds.
- [S491] J. C. Modrack household, 1920 U.S. census, Barry County, Michigan, population schedule, Hope Township, SD 4, ED 54, sheet 4B, dwelling 114, family 114, National Archives and Records Administration micropublication T625, roll 756. The head of the household in this enumeration was listed as J. C. Modrack, however it is fairly clear that the head of the household was Kathleen Elliott Modrack. The "J. C." was probably referring to her as "Mrs. J. C. Modrack", as her deceased husband was Dr. John Modrack. The enumeration also listed Kathleen as divorced, which she was, but from her first husband Eugene Hyde, who could also be found living in the household. She was almost certainly widowed after the death of her second husband, Dr. Modrack.
- [S1531] John W. Tedrow household, 1930 U.S. census, Barry County, Michigan, population schedule, Hope Township, SD 12, ED 13, sheet 5B, dwelling 138, family 138, National Archives and Records Administration micropublication T626, roll 974.