M, #1043, b. 11 August 1837, d. 14 January 1917
may be one of the inhabitants enumerated in the federal census of 1 June 1840 in the household of Stephen B. Crane in Tyre, Seneca County, New York
On 9 July 1850 he appeared on the 1850 federal census in the household of his parents in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan
On 24 July 1860 he appeared on the 1860 federal census in the household of his parents in Kalamazoo
Ira enlisted in the Michigan Third Infantry, company G in Grand Rapids, Kent County, Michigan
, on 13 May 1861. The record states that he was 22 years old at the time of his enlistment for a term of 3 years.5
Ira was mustered in on 10 June 1861.5
Ira was wounded in action in Chancelorsville, Virginia
Ira was promoted to the rank of corporal in January 1864.5
Ira was wounded in action again and said to be in the hospital in May 1864.5
Ira lived in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
, about 1900.5
The cause of his death was a cerebral hemorrhage, complicated by arteriosclerosis.2
- [S454] Mr. Crane household, 1860 U.S. census, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, population schedule, Kalamazoo, page 528, dwelling 886, family 886, National Archives and Records Administration micropublication M653, roll 548.
- [S1637] Ira M. D. Crane entry, Ohio Certificates of Death, 1908-1953, volume 1917: file no. 1470, registered no. 583 (17 January 1917), microfilm no. 1983843, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. Cited from http://www.familysearch.org, viewed 7 February 2009.
- [S554] Stephen B. Crane household, 1840 U.S. Census, Tyre, Seneca County, New York, National Archives and Records Administration M704, roll 339. This census enumerates the following persons in the Stephen B. Crane household: 1 male under the age of 5, 1 male aged 5 to 9, 2 males aged 10 to 14, 2 males aged 15 to 19, 1 male aged 40 to 49, 1 female aged 5 to 9, 1 female 15 to 19, and 1 female aged 40 to 49. Only the female aged 15 to 19 cannot be acouunted for among the children of Stephen and Eunice Crane. She may be an unknown child, some other relative, or an unrelated person living in the household.
- [S564] Stephen B. Crane household, 1850 U.S. census, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, population schedule, Kalamazoo, dwelling 157, family 161, National Archives and Records Administration micropublication M432, roll 353, Among those enumerated in the Stephen B. Crane household is Phebe Crane, age 17. It is unclear whether or not this may be the same person as daughter, Ann..
- [S1932] State of Michigan and George H. Turner, Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861 - 1865, vol. 3, Third Michigan Infantry (Kalamazoo, Michigan: Ihling Bros. & Everard, 1900), 30; digital images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 19 March 2017).